News from: BBC & CNN
- America’s addiction to Funyuns boosts Pepsi profitson 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Andrew Yang video triggers backlashon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Nursing student leaves free paintings around Bostonon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Police: Driver tried to jump onto truckon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Female officer has served over 41 yearson 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Small plane lands on shoulder of roadon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- NC couple moves to TN for boy’s transplanton 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Man charged with hate crime in church fireon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Boy shot and killed while sleepingon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Woman admits helping nephew steal $50k to leaveon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Students complain about bar’s Covid practiceson 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Miracle baby thrives after being given 0% chance to liveon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Man riding stolen motorcycle taken into custodyon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Armed man makes woman, girls get money at ATMon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- 3 in custody after 12-yr-boy killed in shootingon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Delivery man gets Covid vaccine on hoagie runon 2021-04-16 at 11:31
- Indianapolis mass shooting: Eight dead at FedEx facilityon 2021-04-16 at 09:03
Many people are also injured as a gunman opens fire at a FedEx site before reportedly killing himself.
- Adam Toledo: Chicago police release video of officer shooting boyon 2021-04-16 at 08:30
Bodycam footage shows an officer shouting “drop it” before fatally shooting Adam Toledo in the chest.
- Simon & Schuster won’t distribute book by a Louisville police officer involved in the Breonna Taylor raidon 2021-04-16 at 06:40
Simon & Schuster said it won’t distribute a book written by the Louisville police officer who was shot while executing a no-knock warrant at the home of Breonna Taylor, who was killed in the raid.
- Titanic: Searching for the ‘missing’ Chinese survivorson 2021-04-16 at 06:00
When the Titanic sank, six Chinese men were rescued – but their ordeal didn’t end there.
- US imposes sanctions on Russia over cyber-attackson 2021-04-16 at 02:27
Dozens of entities are targeted over attacks including alleged interference in the 2020 elections.
- How George Floyd’s death changed a small Iowa townon 2021-04-15 at 23:50
Issues of race were rarely discussed in Decorah, until a death 160 miles away changed everything.
- Disney park employees have a new dress codeon 2021-04-15 at 20:31
Disney is striving to make its theme parks — “The Happiest Place On Earth” — more inclusive.
- I received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. What now?on 2021-04-15 at 17:32
Two Americans who got the Johnson & Johnson shot talk about their reaction to the vaccine’s ‘pause’.
- Biden resists raising refugee cap over political optics, sources sayon 2021-04-15 at 17:27
President Joe Biden has resisted signing off on raising the Trump-era refugee cap because of political optics, sources have told CNN.
- Moulin Rouge! star quits stage show over Scott Rudin allegationson 2021-04-15 at 17:03
Karen Olivo says she is taking a stand against high-profile Hollywood producer Scott Rudin.
- Reese’s wants to give you a peanut butter glow upon 2021-04-15 at 17:00
Reese’s is launching its own makeup line — and no, it’s not edible.
- Millions of children are still waiting for pandemic food aidon 2021-04-15 at 16:11
Andrew Francese depends on free school meals to help him feed his two children. But both of them are studying remotely this year, so the single dad had hoped to rely on a pandemic aid program that helps families cover the costs for food kids would have received in school.
- George Floyd death: Ex-officer Chauvin will not take the standon 2021-04-15 at 16:09
“I will invoke my Fifth Amendment privilege,” says the ex-officer accused of murdering George Floyd.
- Hyundai reveals a new pickup truckon 2021-04-15 at 16:07
While it may have an open cargo bed in the back, Hyundai’s new Santa Cruz is not a pickup truck. Or, at least, not according to Hyundai.
- House panel advances bill to study reparationson 2021-04-15 at 15:22
A House committee on Wednesday advanced a bill that would create a commission to study reparations for descendants of enslaved Americans, a major achievement for advocates of reparations as it marks the first time this bill would have a full House vote on the floor.
- Derek Chauvin says he won’t testify at George Floyd murder trialon 2021-04-15 at 14:51
The defendant and his lawyer say they went “back and forth” before making a final decision last night.
- Record-breaking year for anti-transgender legislation would affect minors the moston 2021-04-15 at 13:46
Thirty-three states have introduced more than 100 bills that aim to curb the rights of transgender people across the country, with advocacy groups calling 2021 a record-breaking year for such legislation. Many of these bills are rapidly making their way through state legislatures. On April 6, Arkansas became the first state to outlaw providing gender-affirming treatment to minors, a move that the American Civil Liberties Union said would “send a terrible and heartbreaking message” to transgender youth across the country.
- Jeff Bezos discusses Amazon workers’ union voteon 2021-04-15 at 13:31
In his final letter to shareholders as Amazon CEO before he steps down from the role later this year, Jeff Bezos spent much of his time addressing the complaints of critics, both directly and indirectly.
- William Amos: Canadian politician seen naked in work Zoom callon 2021-04-15 at 13:24
Canadian MP William Amos apologises, saying he was changing after going for a jog.
- Kanye West’s $1m Yeezy shoes are ‘most valuable to go on auction’on 2021-04-15 at 11:17
Kanye West debuted the iconic shoes, now worth an estimated $1m, on stage at the 2008 Grammys.
- Texas students disciplined over ‘slave trade game’on 2021-04-15 at 10:32
Parents are outraged after school students set up a group chat assigning prices to their black peers.
- Many Evangelicals object to vaccination. Experts say misinformation plays a roleon 2021-04-15 at 10:22
• ‘I’m a prophet’: See pastor discourage congregation from taking Covid vaccine
- Infrastructure negotiations: 4 things to watchon 2021-04-15 at 09:02
Congressional Republicans have criticized President Joe Biden’s roughly $2 trillion proposal focused on infrastructure and the climate crisis as a far-reaching wish list of liberal priorities and have taken issue with how the plan would be paid for.
- Daunte Wright shooting: How can you mistake a gun for a Taser?on 2021-04-15 at 08:17
Protests have been continuing over the death of Daunte Wright, who police say was shot in error.
- Louisiana ship capsize: Search for survivors from ‘lift’ vesselon 2021-04-15 at 07:03
Rescuers have so far saved six of the commercial ship’s crew but 12 are still missing.
- Daunte Wright shooting: US ex-officer Kim Potter charged over killingon 2021-04-15 at 06:16
The former officer who shot Daunte Wright in Minneapolis faces a charge of second-degree manslaughter.
- Women detail drug use, sex and payments after late-night parties with Gaetz and otherson 2021-04-15 at 00:31
The first thing some of the women were asked to do when they got to the house parties in the gated community in suburban Orlando was to put away their cellphones, according to two women in attendance who spoke to CNN in recent days. The men inside, a who’s who of local Republican officials that often included Rep. Matt Gaetz, did not want the night’s activities documented.
- Chief calls traffic stop of Army officer ‘teaching moment’on 2021-04-15 at 00:00
The police chief of Windsor, Virginia, said Wednesday that a traffic stop in which two officers pointed guns at a US Army officer, pepper-sprayed him and pushed him to the ground was “a teaching moment” and that he wished the soldier had followed commands.
- A woman’s quest to find her biological fatheron 2021-04-14 at 23:01
When a DNA test revealed a decades-old family secret, Maia’s life was turned upside down.
- The Bachelor star Colton Underwood comes out as gayon 2021-04-14 at 15:08
Colton Underwood rose to fame on the long-running reality TV show, which sees a man select a wife.
- George Floyd death: The three key arguments used by Chauvin’s defenceon 2021-04-14 at 00:30
Derek Chauvin’s defence team started making the case that he is not at fault for George Floyd’s death.
- Why ‘stay-at-home parent’ is a job titleon 2021-04-13 at 23:25
LinkedIn now gives parents a way to reflect a career gap. Can it help the return-to-work challenge?
- ‘No say over my body’: Alleged US ICE detainee medical abuseon 2021-04-13 at 23:01
Dozens of women allege they faced invasive gynaecological procedures while being held at a US immigration detention centre.
- George Floyd death: The prosecution’s case against Derek Chauvinon 2021-04-13 at 01:01
Over 11 days of testimony, we heard from eyewitnesses, fellow police officers and medical experts.
- The exchange project uniting young Americans during the pandemicon 2021-04-12 at 23:26
Teenagers from across the US are coming together to discuss their vastly differing backgrounds.
- Minneapolis: Daunte Wright killing by police sparks unreston 2021-04-12 at 13:19
There was unrest near Minneapolis after police fatally shoot a black man in a traffic stop.
- Joe Biden: Could his tax plan affect US investment in Ireland?on 2021-04-11 at 06:10
US investment in Ireland could dry up if President Biden leads a major change to global tax rules.
- Prince Philip: Every living US president pays respectson 2021-04-10 at 00:32
The Duke of Edinburgh saw 18 presidents elected in his lifetime and met many of them with the Queen.
- Obituary: DMX, the record-breaking rapper with bark and biteon 2021-04-09 at 16:41
He was one of America’s most successful rap stars, but his life was plagued by personal problems.
- Covid infections in Canada edge closer to US rateon 2021-04-09 at 03:03
A surge means cases per capita could soon surpass US levels for the first time in the pandemic.
- Why the Chauvin trial ‘exhausts’ black Americaon 2021-04-09 at 01:52
Many say watching George Floyd’s final moments is traumatising – and so is the fight for racial justice.
- Why America has a problem with vaccine passportson 2021-04-09 at 01:10
Yellow fever, slavery and distrust of government all contributed to resistance to official checks.
- US spies peer into the future – and it doesn’t look goodon 2021-04-08 at 20:41
Their predictions include growing uncertainty and instability, and more polarisation and populism.
- Chauvin trial: Lung doctor describes George Floyd’s fight to breatheon 2021-04-08 at 18:01
Dr Martin Tobin, a world renowned expert on breathing, testified on George Floyd’s last moments.
- America’s gun culture in chartson 2021-04-08 at 16:50
Charts explaining some of the key statistics behind gun ownership and attacks linked to guns in the US.
- Derek Chauvin trial: What did George Floyd really say?on 2021-04-08 at 00:11
Defence counsel claimed Mr Floyd said “I ate too many drugs” during his arrest. What did witnesses hear?
- ‘Can you help me?’ Boy found alone at the borderon 2021-04-07 at 19:47
A 10-year-old from Nicaragua woke up to find he had been abandoned by his group.
- Italian American groups fight to keep Columbus Day in Philadelphiaon 2021-04-07 at 16:17
Fourteen US states and several major cities have replaced the holiday with Indigenous People’s Day.
- Hazmat crew called in to clean US houseon 2021-04-06 at 22:36
The resident has been dealing with depression and fatigue following a stroke over 20 years ago.
- Stolen ambulance sends Texas police on two-hour chaseon 2021-04-06 at 16:04
The 19-year-old suspect stole the ambulance from a local fire station in Dallas, Texas.
- SAG Awards: Screen Actors Guild honour The Trial of the Chicago 7on 2021-04-05 at 10:30
People from ethnic minorities win in all four individual film categories for the first time.
- Covid ‘hate crimes’ against Asian Americans on riseon 2021-04-02 at 15:01
Covid-related attacks directed at Asian Americans have escalated in the US – here’s what’s happening.
- Derek Chauvin trial: Footage shows paramedics responding to Floyd arreston 2021-04-01 at 22:09
Floyd’s girlfriend provided emotional testimony and paramedics explained what the scene was like when they arrived.
- Inside the lives of Asian massage workers: ‘How can we not be scared?’on 2021-03-31 at 23:07
Asian female massage workers in the US speak up about the stigma surrounding their profession.
- Chauvin trial: Firefighter ‘distressed’ by George Floyd arreston 2021-03-31 at 16:59
Genevieve Hansen was off-duty when she came across the scene of George Floyd’s arrest.
- Chauvin trial: ‘I called police on the police’on 2021-03-30 at 22:06
The prosecution called several witnesses – some becoming emotional – on day two of the proceedings.
- Nashville floods kill four peopleon 2021-03-30 at 19:43
The storms in Tennessee required 100 people to be rescued from vehicles and buildings.
- George Floyd: Americans react to Day One of the Chauvin trialon 2021-03-29 at 23:26
A black political hopeful, a Minnesota resident and a retired officer share their thoughts.
- Guatemala: Suffocated youth unafraid of a deadly journeyon 2021-03-26 at 00:21
Tougher policies and deaths on the road are unlikely to stop Guatemalans from trying to reach the US.
- Key moments from Joe Biden’s first news conferenceon 2021-03-25 at 21:48
For the first time as president, Biden answered reporters questions on critical issues.
- Child migrants: The challenges facing Biden at the US-Mexico borderon 2021-03-24 at 23:01
A surge in migrants arriving at the US-Mexico border tests the administration’s immigration promises.
- Anti-Asian hate: ‘Try to be brave and stand up’on 2021-03-24 at 00:07
Amid rallies against anti-Asian hate crimes, we ask what it’s like to be an Asian woman in the US.
- Child migrants: What is happening at the US border?on 2021-03-23 at 10:49
More than 15,000 migrant children are in US custody in a surge of arrivals to the US-Mexico border.
- Anti-Asian violence: ‘He slashed me from cheek-to-cheek’on 2021-03-19 at 01:23
Asian Americans across the US have faced a surge in hate crimes during the pandemic.
- Mexico: Risking everything for an American dreamon 2021-03-17 at 23:04
Thousands of migrants from Central America are making an arduous journey to the US border.
- Deb Haaland: America’s first Native cabinet secretaryon 2021-03-16 at 22:02
An indigenous woman just took over at the agency that most closely oversees indigenous priorities.
- Canada ‘Sixties Scoop’: Indigenous survivors map out their storieson 2020-12-14 at 00:05
Canada’s “Sixties Scoop” saw thousands of indigenous children forcibly removed from their families.
- New Christmas campaign for Canadians held in Chinaon 2020-12-10 at 01:39
The campaign is based on efforts around a similar case involving a British journalist fifty years ago.
- New Brunswick outbreak: How a smalltown doctor became a Covid pariahon 2020-11-25 at 01:23
After being labelled “patient zero”, a small-town physician in Canada was shunned.