News from: BBC & CNN
- Vehicle strikes cruiser, slams into homeon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Woman dies after being hit by officer’s vehicleon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Man refurbishes cars, restores people’s hopeon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Man dies after shooting at courthouseon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Mom pushes for troopers to wear camerason 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Black rhino dies at Zoo Miamion 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Mystery customer who dropped $2K+ tips revealedon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Indian mascot discussion continues in Cambridgeon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- WWII VET celebrates 97th birthday after tough yearon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Travel warning issued ahead of blizzardon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Customer, student starts GoFundMe for popular baron 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Family with virus couldn’t smell fireon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- 108-yr-old woman beats Covid-19on 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Doctor gives free services to homelesson 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Man faces charges after deputy is shoton 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- Boy held hostage reunited with familyon 2021-01-17 at 00:20
- CES is a fantasyland of futuristic products. But this year it was dominated by our bleak presenton 2021-01-16 at 23:39
CES, the closely-watched annual consumer electronics show, often sets the tone for the tech trends of the year — but little did I realize how true that would be last year.
- SLS: Nasa’s ‘megarocket’ engine test ends earlyon 2021-01-16 at 22:41
A critical engine test for Nasa’s new “megarocket” – the Space Launch System (SLS) – ends early.
- Biden inauguration: All 50 US states on alert for armed protestson 2021-01-16 at 22:24
National Guard troops from across the country descend on Washington DC amid tightened security.
- Trump impeachment: When will he go on trial in the Senate?on 2021-01-16 at 14:14
The president has been impeached, accused of inciting a mob. Here’s a guide to the next steps.
- Microsoft and other tech giants team up for Covid-19 vaccine ‘passports’on 2021-01-16 at 14:13
With coronavirus vaccines now rolling out across the United States, businesses and schools are considering how, and what it will take, to safely resume in-person operations.
- NRA files for bankruptcyon 2021-01-16 at 14:09
The National Rifle Association of America, the nation’s foremost gun lobby, has filed for voluntary bankruptcy in Texas, the organization said Friday.
- How people of color can cope with Capitol riot hypocrisyon 2021-01-16 at 11:50
Justice Horn was in broad daylight, but he could not see as he rose from the ground and blindly stumbled through darkness and pain.
- Dustin Higgs: Final execution of Trump presidency is carried outon 2021-01-16 at 09:03
The execution of Dustin Higgs, 48, is the 13th federal death sentence carried out since July.
- If you’re trying to make sense of the Capitol riot, read these bookson 2021-01-16 at 08:01
On January 6, the world watched as the US Capitol was attacked by pro-Trump rioters. Since then, each day has been filled with revelations about how it was plotted and carried out. Many are still trying to process the initial shock.
- L.A. inquest into a fatal police shooting of 18-year-old backs earlier conclusion that it was homicideon 2021-01-16 at 06:26
- Covid: UK variant could drive ‘rapid growth’ in US cases, CDC warnson 2021-01-16 at 03:26
Health officials warn the highly contagious UK Covid variant could become the dominant strain in the US by March.
- Capitol riots: What are far-right Trump supporters saying?on 2021-01-16 at 00:19
Members of the extreme right are searching for new online homes, amid paranoia that they are being ‘set up’ by the authorities.
- US Election 2020: What do countries around the world want from Joe Biden?on 2021-01-16 at 00:09
We speak to reporters in six global regions about hopes and expectations for the new US administration.
- Martin Luther King Jr: New documentary on FBI surveillanceon 2021-01-16 at 00:07
New documentary highlights extent of the FBI surveillance of the US civil rights leader.
- Covid in California: The state is struggling to contain the viruson 2021-01-15 at 22:54
California’s poor residents are among those hardest hit by the pandemic.
- Trump’s Christian supporters and the march on the Capitolon 2021-01-15 at 22:47
Christian supporters of President Trump were among the thousands who descended on Washington.
- A combat veteran thrust back into action during the Capitol attack grapples with what’s nexton 2021-01-15 at 21:49
Rep. Jason Crow didn’t expect to vote to impeach a US President twice in when he came to Congress.
- Manhattan DA expands criminal investigation into Trump Organization finances to include family compoundon 2021-01-15 at 21:48
The Manhattan district attorney’s office has expanded its criminal investigation into the Trump Organization’s finances to include the family’s compound in Westchester County, according to lawyers and people familiar with the investigation.
- Inauguration 2021: What happens on the day Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are sworn in?on 2021-01-15 at 21:33
On 20 January, Joe Biden will officially become president, and Kamala Harris will become vice-president. Here’s what you need to know.
- Capitol riots: Police describe a ‘medieval battle’on 2021-01-15 at 19:52
US police held back a mob for hours in a “barbaric” battle at the Capitol. Here are their stories.
- Taxidermy and a Lincoln bust among departing White House effectson 2021-01-15 at 19:10
A pheasant took flight from the White House Thursday afternoon.
- Capitol riots: Who has the FBI arrested so far?on 2021-01-15 at 18:59
Others suspects include a state lawmaker, a firefighter, a florist and the son of a New York judge.
- Already shunned from polite society, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner face new cold post-insurrection realityon 2021-01-15 at 15:50
When Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner shared their decision to pick up and move their family to Washington from New York four years ago, multiple sources who know the couple said the idea was the White House years would allow easy entree to their ambitious next steps: Kushner would become a powerful player in global politics and Trump would become a shoo-in to a higher office of her own.
- Biden announces more communications staffon 2021-01-15 at 15:09
The incoming Biden administration appointed a dozen communications staffers on Friday, including deputy press secretary and chief photographer.
- This Keurig-like machine for soft serve ice cream is what the world really needson 2021-01-15 at 14:18
It’s a rocky road to disrupt the ice cream industry, but sundae you may get your soft serve from a pod.
- ‘Trump impeachment sets precedent against free speech’on 2021-01-15 at 12:00
The decision forms a guide that can be used against civil rights activists, warns Alan Dershowitz.
- Sylvain Sylvain: New York Dolls guitarist dies aged 69on 2021-01-15 at 10:01
He helped kick-start punk and new wave, and was an influence on the Sex Pistols and Guns N’ Roses.
- Grand Canyon fatal helicopter crash ‘probably caused by wind’on 2021-01-15 at 09:11
Five people died when their helicopter crashed in the Arizona tourist attraction in February 2018.
- NYC bendy bus left drooping from overpass in Bronxon 2021-01-15 at 08:17
Several people are hurt as a bus plunges from an overpass in the Bronx on to an access road below.
- Flint water crisis: Michigan charges ex-governor Rick Snyderon 2021-01-15 at 03:19
It follows a new investigation into the deadly contamination of water in the Michigan city in 2014.
- How much can Joe Biden get done on the US economy?on 2021-01-15 at 01:28
President-elect Joe Biden called for $1.9tn in pandemic aid, part of a two-step rescue plan to boost the US economy.
- Trump impeachment: Republicans clash as Senate trial loomson 2021-01-14 at 21:16
Top Republican Congresswoman Liz Cheney faces calls to quit after voting to impeach President Trump.
- Dog walkers in Oregon caught in tidal surgeon 2021-01-14 at 21:01
Two women and a dog try to outrun the incoming ocean during a storm in Oregon.
- Colour blind man: ‘There’s no way you see all this’on 2021-01-14 at 19:36
For his birthday, McKinley Erves received glasses that allow him see colours more vibrantly.
- Americans react to historic second Trump impeachmenton 2021-01-14 at 14:17
Our voter panel is divided over the charge of incitement with Trump supporters warning it will deepen divisions.
- How did the pilot survive this plane crash?on 2021-01-14 at 00:35
Surveillance footage shows the moment a plane fell out of the sky in Oyster Bay, New York.
- Trump impeachment: Republicans defend – and some attack – presidenton 2021-01-14 at 00:23
Ten Republicans voted to impeach the president this time – but most in the party came to his defence.
- Trump: ‘Violence and vandalism have no place in our country’on 2021-01-13 at 23:51
US President Donald Trump called on his supporters to make their voices heard peacefully.
- Trump impeachment: ‘Three quarters of Trump voters believe he won’on 2021-01-13 at 23:23
Republican pollster Frank Luntz says Trump’s supporters back him no matter the evidence they are shown.
- James Comey: Ex-FBI director warns of ‘significant threat’ to comeon 2021-01-13 at 22:21
Ex-FBI director James Comey warns of “significant threat” of violence in days to come ahead of the inauguration
- Could Liz Cheney spark a revolt?on 2021-01-13 at 22:05
These are the lawmakers with a big influence on the impeachment process against the president.
- President Trump becomes first president to be impeached twiceon 2021-01-13 at 21:53
The US House of Representatives has voted with a trial due to begin in the Senate in the coming days.
- Capitol riots: Did Trump’s words at rally incite violence?on 2021-01-13 at 21:49
Donald Trump stands accused of inciting violence that left five people dead. So what did the president say?
- Yes, Trump is still President — and other impeachment questions answeredon 2021-01-13 at 16:20
The overall impeachment process laid out in the Constitution is relatively simple: President commits “high Crime or Misdemeanor,” House votes to impeach, Senate conducts a trial.
- A day that shook Americaon 2021-01-13 at 03:47
The BBC’s Aleem Maqbool reports on the extraordinary events and asks: “How safe is US democracy?”
- Is seeing your doctor online working?on 2021-01-13 at 00:31
The coronavirus pandemic has helped spark a boom in virtual doctor’s visits.
- Trump supporters planning armed protests ahead of Biden inauguration, FBI warnson 2021-01-12 at 10:43
Law enforcement officials warn of plans to hold armed protests before Joe Biden’s inauguration.
- Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman hailed as ‘a hero’on 2021-01-12 at 03:06
Footage of the riot shows Mr Goodman lure a mob away from the Senate and the lawmakers hiding inside.
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi walks through Capitol riots damageon 2021-01-11 at 18:48
The House leader said her staff hid under a table and barricaded the door for two hours.
- Viewpoint: What the Capitol riot means for US foreign policyon 2021-01-10 at 00:13
President-elect Joe Biden needs to unite his nation to fix US policy abroad, Jonathan Marcus writes.
- Trump’s Twitter endgame: Is it over?on 2021-01-09 at 04:35
How Trump’s favourite social media site banned him – permanently.
- Voices from Trump land: ‘We will continue to be divided’on 2021-01-09 at 03:53
Residents of a conservative district in Virginia grapple with the riots in Washington DC and its impact.
- ‘If we had rioted, we’d have been killed’on 2021-01-09 at 01:55
Black Americans say the police response at US Capitol puts “white privilege” on full display.
- Trump calls for an ‘orderly transition of power’ to Biden administrationon 2021-01-08 at 02:03
The president condemns the Capitol rioters and acknowledges the incoming Biden administration.
- The words lawmakers used to describe Capitol rioton 2021-01-07 at 23:31
Words matter. So how did Republican and Democratic lawmakers choose to describe the chaos on Capitol Hill?
- Phone footage reveals chaotic scenes inside US Capitolon 2021-01-07 at 23:29
When Trump supporters stormed the Capitol they took out their cameras to record the chaos inside.
- ‘My new life with a stranger’s face’on 2021-01-07 at 20:13
Robert’s face transplant was a medical miracle – his recovery since is a remarkable test of faith and identity.
- Capitol riots: How a Trump rally turned deadlyon 2021-01-07 at 02:33
A ceremony meant to showcase a peaceful power transfer turns into a dark day. Here are the key moments.
- ‘New York is not dead, but it is on life support’on 2021-01-07 at 00:05
Has the coronavirus pandemic hurt America’s fragile urban revival – or killed it?
- How an election is supposed to be certifiedon 2021-01-06 at 01:07
Joe Biden and Al Gore have shown how to preside over contentious election certifications.
- Nicola Sturgeon: ‘Donald Trump should not visit Scotland to golf’on 2021-01-05 at 18:32
Scotland’s first minister said coronavirus rules mean only essential travel is allowed.
- Why are US officials getting vaccinated in public?on 2021-01-05 at 12:56
Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and Dr Anthony Fauci all received their Covid-19 vaccines live on TV. Why?
- Georgia Senate: ‘Do not suppress your own vote’on 2021-01-04 at 23:12
Gabriel Sterling, Georgia’s voting system implementation manager, said there was no evidence of fraud.
- Georgia election: Donald Trump’s phone call fact-checkedon 2021-01-04 at 17:11
The president made a string of claims in a phone call with officials in Georgia as he disputes the state’s election result.
- Amazon’s Jeff Bezos: The richest person in the worldon 2021-01-04 at 00:13
As 2020 ended, Jeff Bezos’s wealth was estimated to be more than $185bn (£135bn), after he made tens of billions during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Nancy Pelosi: How she rose to the top – and stayed thereon 2021-01-03 at 23:53
The Speaker of the House enters her ninth decade playing a key role in advancing Biden’s agenda.
- Faith and spirituality in the time of Covidon 2021-01-03 at 13:35
After decades of declining church attendance, the pandemic may be leading to a resurgence of faith.
- Coronavirus: ‘I lost my father – and my faith in America’on 2021-01-03 at 01:05
After her dad died of Covid, Angelina Proia felt blindsided by his absence and the US’s pandemic response.
- NFL predictions: Can the LA Rams beat the Arizona Cardinals and reach the play-offs?on 2021-01-01 at 17:42
Put your knowledge to the test against NFL experts Osi Umenyiora and Jason Bell and see if you can predict the week 17 scores.
- Penn Station: New train hall returns beauty to New York stationon 2020-12-31 at 00:12
The newly-designed hall opens on Thursday after the original landmark was demolished in 1963.
- 2020 through the lens of a photojournaliston 2020-12-31 at 00:00
Photojournalist Leah Millis recaps the year with her favourite images from 2020.
- The Californian district attorney with a unique backgroundon 2020-12-30 at 21:09
Chesa Boudin, San Francisco’s controversial district attorney, talks to the BBC.
- What my grandfather’s life taught me about China and Americaon 2020-12-30 at 00:23
Vincent Ni reflects on the long life of his grandfather and a crucial choice he made as a young man.
- Covid in prison: ‘We should be treated like humans’on 2020-12-29 at 00:02
Reports suggest one-in-five prisoners have tested positive for Covid in the US, and 1,700 have died.
- Nashville explosion: CCTV captures moment of blaston 2020-12-28 at 10:44
Police believe the incident in front of a telecommunications office was likely a suicide bombing.
- Covid: Fauci hopes receiving vaccine will encourage otherson 2020-12-22 at 17:03
The top US infectious diseases official spoke to the BBC ahead of his first shot of vaccine.
- US election: Mitch McConnell congratulates Biden, White House talks ‘ongoing litigation’on 2020-12-15 at 21:45
Mitch McConnell congratulates Joe Biden, while Trump’s press secretary refers to “ongoing litigation”.
- Florida puppy that escaped alligator’s jaws becomes sheriff ‘deputy dog’on 2020-12-15 at 18:35
Gunner, a five-month-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, is honoured by his local sheriff in Florida.
- Joe Biden: US democracy proved to be ‘resilient and strong’on 2020-12-15 at 03:08
US President-elect Joe Biden says the country’s system was “pushed, tested and threatened”.
- Coronavirus: The day US began Covid vaccinationson 2020-12-14 at 23:30
A massive vaccination effort has kicked off with healthcare workers first to get a vaccine.
- Canada ‘Sixties Scoop’: Indigenous survivors map out their storieson 2020-12-14 at 00:05
Canada’s “Sixties Scoop” saw thousands of indigenous children forcibly removed from their families.
- New Christmas campaign for Canadians held in Chinaon 2020-12-10 at 01:39
The campaign is based on efforts around a similar case involving a British journalist fifty years ago.
- Cher on Kaavan the ‘lonely’ elephant’s rescue, Joe Biden and Mamma Mia 3on 2020-12-09 at 19:42
The singer helped to relocate Kaavan from a Pakistani zoo to a wildlife sanctuary in Cambodia.
- What’s it like moving back home (as an adult)?on 2020-12-07 at 00:00
The coronavirus pandemic has led millions of young Americans to move back in with their parents.
- New Brunswick outbreak: How a smalltown doctor became a Covid pariahon 2020-11-25 at 01:23
After being labelled “patient zero”, a small-town physician in Canada was shunned.
- ‘Stop the steal’: The deep roots of Trump’s ‘voter fraud’ strategyon 2020-11-23 at 01:00
The groundwork for the president’s unsubstantiated claims was laid months ago.