News from: NDTV, Timesofindia.com & Thehindu.com
- Pay and skip quarantine: Cops bust scam at Mumbai airporton 2021-01-17 at 04:28
- PM hails Covid warriors, scientists, says vaccines will give decisive winon 2021-01-17 at 04:04
Launching India’s vaccine drive by addressing health workers in different cities, PM Modi became emotional, recalling healthcare personnel who succumbed to the virus, never to ret-urn home, pausing before he continued. He also congratulated scientists for coming up with vaccines in record time.
- Minor glitches in Co-WIN but drive completed successfully, says governmenton 2021-01-17 at 03:09
“No major glitches were noticed. Almost all functions were smooth. We are constantly looking at the operations to ensure that the platform is ready to bear a major user-load that will be there once it opens up for others,” an official said.
- RTI applicant must disclose interest in seeking info, says Delhi HCon 2021-01-17 at 02:44
Har Kishan had sought information that included the complete address and father’s name of all those who had been appointed to the post of multitasking staff, and alleged irregularities. During the hearing of Har Kishan’s appeal against the CIC order, the HC found that his daughter had also applied for appointment, which he didn’t mention.
- 799 cases pending under scrapped IT Act sectionon 2021-01-17 at 02:31
The findings were published by IFF, in collaboration with Civic Data Lab (CDL), and have been presented through a website zombietracker.in. The website has details of the total cases registered, pending cases and those disposed by the courts in 11 states of the country.
- Some vaccinate, others vacillate: 53% of those enrolled turn up in Delhion 2021-01-17 at 02:24
Most of the beneficiaries were staffers working at the hospitals where vaccine centres have been set up. Those scheduled to get the vaccine but could not turn up will not be accommodated on the next day. A decision about all those left out will be taken after a review currently planned at the end of the inoculation drive of all enrolled healthcare workers.
- Vax Populi: Nation celebrates as it gets the gift of the jabon 2021-01-17 at 02:14
By 6pm, as many as 13,292 people, against a target of 16,314, had taken the injection in Odisha. Prahlad Suna, 36, a safai karamchari in Sambalpur, said it’s like he’s won the lottery. This will remain a moment to cherish for life, he told the others assembled there.
- Chargesheet filed against 11 Lashkar operativeson 2021-01-17 at 00:05
- Keep a check on rumours, disinformation regarding Covid-19 vaccines: Harsh Vardhan to stateson 2021-01-16 at 23:24
- “Measure Amartya Sen’s Plot”: Visva Bharati To Bengal Governmenton 2021-01-16 at 23:11
Amid the controversy over Nobel laureate Amartya Sen’s family being in “illegal” possession of land in Visva-Bharati campus, the central university on Saturday demanded that the West Bengal government…
- Vaccination drive suspended in Maharashtra till Monday due to Co-Win app glitcheson 2021-01-16 at 23:07
- In crime-infested Bihar, ‘double engine’ has become trouble engine: Tejashwion 2021-01-16 at 23:01
- Libya talks make progress towards new temporary government, says U.N.on 2021-01-16 at 22:28
Participants at talks in Geneva agreed on a mechanism for choosing the new government, whose formation has been the subject of wrangling among the main factions in a country that is a major oil producer.
- Farmers’ union urges Supreme Court to reconstitute panel for talks: Top developmentson 2021-01-16 at 22:13
- Bird flu in poultry confirmed in 9 districts of Maharashtra; culling operation on in MP, Chhattisgarhon 2021-01-16 at 22:12
- TMC MLAs, leaders get Covid vaccine on Day 1, spark rowon 2021-01-16 at 21:51
- BJP govt in Karnataka will complete 5 year term and return to power again: Amit Shahon 2021-01-16 at 21:45
- Vaccination drive hailed as decisive moment for India against corona; Frontline workers discount fears, appeal to others to take jabson 2021-01-16 at 21:43
Loud applause and cheers rang out as the first jabs were administered to frontline workers at hospitals and healthcare centres across the country on Saturday at the start of the gargantuan Covid-19 vaccination exercise, hailed as a “momentous” occasion in India’s fight against the pandemic.
- Attempts to intimidate farmers through notices from central agencies: SADon 2021-01-16 at 20:53
Shiromani Akali Dal chief Sukhbir Singh Badal on Saturday alleged that attempts are being made to threaten farmer leaders through notices by agencies like the NIA. He also accused the Centre of being insincere in talks over the farm laws and said the government is only “trying to tire out farmers”. “Simultaneously, it (Centre) is intimidating farmers by issuing notices to them through various agencies like the National Investigation Agency (NIA). Farmers are not anti-nationals. We condemn this,” said Badal.
- Vaccination drive kicks off in India amid hope, apprehensionon 2021-01-16 at 20:33
- Have requested Centre to provide adequate number of Covid-19 vaccines to Bengal: Mamataon 2021-01-16 at 20:31
Expressing her dissatisfaction over the “inadequate number of Covid-19 vaccines” supplied to West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her government “strongly feels” that all people of the state should be inoculated free of cost. The chief minister also said that her government was ready to bear the financial burden for providing the doses free of charge in the state, if need be.
- Elections For Urban Local Bodies In Punjab On February 14on 2021-01-16 at 20:29
Elections to the eight municipal corporations and 109 municipal councils and nagar panchayats in Punjab will be held on February 14, the state election office said in Chandigarh.
- PM To Perform Ahmedabad, Surat Metro Ground Breaking Ceremony On Mondayon 2021-01-16 at 20:13
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will perform the ground-breaking ceremony for the Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-II and the Surat Metro Rail Project via video-conferencing on Monday.
- “Trouble Engine”, Not “Double Engine”: Tejashwi Yadav On Bihar Governmenton 2021-01-16 at 19:52
RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav on Saturday charged that the ruling BJP-JD(U) alliance in Bihar has become a “trouble engine” instead of the “double engine” that had promised to propel the state towards…
- Shot in the arm for health workers: From facing harassment to being among the first to get vaccineon 2021-01-16 at 19:47
For Biji Tomy, a nurse who received the very first Covid-19 vaccine shot at the LNJP Hospital here on Saturday, it was a “historic moment” that helped her leave behind the unpleasant memories of her colleagues being harassed and taunted as “potential coronavirus carriers” in the early days of the pandemic.
- The Hindu Explains | Why are Democrats and Republicans opposed to the provision under the Communications Decency Act?by Sriram Lakshman on 2021-01-16 at 18:52
Why was the law passed? How has the industry reacted to the opposition?
- Multi-Vehicle Pile-Up On Peripheral Expressway Due To Fogon 2021-01-16 at 17:49
Four people suffered minor injuries during a multi-vehicle pile-up due to fog on the Eastern Peripheral Expressway (EPE) in Uttar Pradesh’s Greater Noida on Saturday morning, police said.
- Salman Khan Asked To Appear In Court On February 6 In Blackbuck Caseon 2021-01-16 at 17:16
The district and sessions court in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, has asked actor Salman Khan to appear before it on February 6, while exempting him from appearance today.
- Probe Agency Summons 40 People Including Farmers’ Leader, Punjabi Actoron 2021-01-16 at 17:07
Farmer leader Baldev Singh Sirsa and Punjabi actor Deep Sidhu have been summoned by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for questioning on Sunday in a case related to the outfit Sikhs for Justice…
- Earthquake Of Magnitude 4.1 Hits Near Katra In Jammu And Kashmiron 2021-01-16 at 16:44
An earthquake of magnitude 4.1 was reported near Katra in Jammu and Kashmir today, according to India’s National Center for Seismology.
- Amit Shah Lays Foundation Stone Of Rapid Action Force Camp In Karnatakaon 2021-01-16 at 16:43
Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday laid the foundation stone of the Bhadravathi Rapid Action Force Centre in Shivamogga, Karnataka.
- WhatsApp pushes back policy roll out to May 15by Special Correspondent on 2021-01-16 at 16:30
Messaging platform says it’s ‘doing a lot more to clear up misinformation’ on privacy and security on the app
- Xiaomi | Collateral damageby Ananth Krishnan on 2021-01-16 at 16:30
The U.S. has termed the start-up a ‘Communist Chinese military company’
- National Guard | Boots on the groundby Narayan Lakshman on 2021-01-16 at 16:25
About 20,000 troops have been deployed in DC ahead of Biden’s inauguration
- Museveni wins 6th term amid allegations of rigged electionby AFP on 2021-01-16 at 16:11
Election was marred by fraud and violence: Bobi Wine
- How Many People Were Vaccinated In Each State On Day 1on 2021-01-16 at 16:10
The first day of COVID-19 vaccination in India saw 1.91 lakh people take the shot, as against a target of inoculating three lakh people by the government. The shortfall is on account of vaccination…
- Merkel ally wins race to lead her partyby AFP on 2021-01-16 at 16:08
As head of CDU, Armin Laschet has vowed to continue with centrist policies
- Mamata Banerjee Trying To “Politicise” Vaccination Drive Before Polls: BJPon 2021-01-16 at 16:03
Bharatiya Janata Party national general secretary Kailash Vijayvargiya criticised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for her allegations of fewer vaccines being sent to the state and accused…
- Pelosi tasks General with security reviewby AFP on 2021-01-16 at 16:02
Some House Republicans under scrutiny for their role in coordination with rioters
- 2 CBI Officers Suspended For Taking Bribe From Bank Fraud Accusedon 2021-01-16 at 15:51
Days after charging its four personnel for allegedly receiving bribe to compromise on investigation against companies accused of bank fraud, the CBI has suspended two of them — Inspector Kapil…
- Former Assam Chief Minister Prafulla Mahanta Admitted To Hospital, Stableon 2021-01-16 at 15:34
Former Assam Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was admitted to a private hospital following chest pain but his condition was ”stable”, a hospital spokesperson said on Saturday.
- See Pics Of Jan Shatabdi Express With Vistadome Coaches Shared By PM Modion 2021-01-16 at 14:56
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today shared photos of the Jan Shatabdi Express that will run between Ahmedabad and Kevadia. This train is among seven others that PM Modi will flag off tomorrow via video…
- Delhi Court Extends Former Trinamool MP’s Custody Till January 25on 2021-01-16 at 14:26
A court in Delhi has extended the Enforcement Directorate (ED) custody of former Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP KD Singh, arrested in a money-laundering case, till January 25.
- PM Modi Announces Rs 1,000 Crore “Startup India Seed Fund”on 2021-01-16 at 14:23
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of Rs 1,000-crore “Startup India Seed Fund” to support startups and help budding entrepreneurs pursue innovative ideas.
- “No Need To Be Scared”: Health Workers, Ministers On Day 1 Of Vaccinationon 2021-01-16 at 14:11
As India launched the world’s largest vaccination drive against the coronavirus pandemic, here are some of the reactions from different leaders, ministers and those who took the first shot:
- Will Get Vaccinated In Next Phase, Says Punjab Chief Ministeron 2021-01-16 at 13:35
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh today said he would get himself vaccinated for COVID-19 vaccine in the next phase as he rolled out the inoculation drive in Mohali.
- Covid Fight In “Final Stage”: Amit Shah As Vaccination Drive Beginson 2021-01-16 at 13:28
India under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has fought the most successful battle against coronavirus in the world, and with the beginning of the vaccination drive, the country has…
- 5 dead of suspected gas leak in Italian nursing homeby AP on 2021-01-16 at 13:03
Firefighters confirmed the deadly incident in the town of Lanuvio, with the hypothesis of a gas leak
- Nepal never accepts interference in domestic politics: Nepalese Foreign Minister Gyawaliby PTI on 2021-01-16 at 12:12
Mr. Gyawali’s assertion came at a media interaction when asked about China’s attempt to play a role in the aftermath of fast-paced political developments in Nepal last month.
- Sri Lanka’s Tamil parties seek international mechanism to probe ‘war crimes’by Meera Srinivasan on 2021-01-16 at 11:49
No scope for a domestic process, they note in joint letter to UNHRC members
- Damaged roads, power blackouts hamper rescue efforts at Indonesian quake siteby AP on 2021-01-16 at 11:36
Operations were focused on about eight locations in the hardest-hit city of Mamuju, where people were believed to be trapped.