News from: NDTV, Timesofindia.com & Thehindu.com
- Serum CEO urges US to lift raw material export ban to ramp up vaccine productionon 2021-04-16 at 15:31
- Govt to supply around 17,000 MT of oxygen to states worst-hit by Covid-19on 2021-04-16 at 15:25
The govt on Friday said that it will supply 17,092 MT of medical oxygen in a dozen states where the virus is surging, including Maharashtra and capital city of Delhi. The announcement was made post a meeting held by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to ensure an adequate oxygen supply for Covid patients in the country.
- Karnataka chief minister B S Yediyurappa tests positive for Covid-19on 2021-04-16 at 14:44
Karnataka chief minister B S Yediyurappa tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday, the chief medical officer informed. This is the second time the 78-year-old chief minister has tested positive, first being on August 2 last year. Yediyurappa has been admitted to Ramaiah Memorial Hospital in Bengaluru as he had a fever for the last 2 days.
- 10 states, including Maharashtra and UP, account for nearly 80 per cent of new Covid-19 caseson 2021-04-16 at 13:53
Ten states comprising Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal have shown a steep rise in daily new Covid-19 cases accounting for 79.10 per cent of the new infections, the Union health ministry said on Friday.
- India’s cumulative Covid-19 vaccination coverage exceeds 11.72 croreson 2021-04-16 at 13:50
According to the Union health ministry, cumulatively, 11,72,23,509 vaccine doses have been administered through 17,37,539 sessions, as per the provisional report till 7 am on Friday. The ministry stated that over 27 lakh vaccination doses were administered in the last 24 hours. It further informed that more than 26 crore tests have been conducted across the country.
- Kumbh: 30 sadhus in Haridwar test positive for Covid-19on 2021-04-16 at 13:10
Amidst the ongoing Kumbh in Haridwar, 30 sadhus in the city have tested positive for Covid-19, said the Chief Medical Officer on Friday. Speaking to ANI, Haridwar Chief Medical Officer Dr SK Jha said, “30 Sadhus have tested positive for Covid-19 so far, in Haridwar. Medical teams are going to akhadas and RT-PCR tests of sadhus are being done continuously. The process will be further quickened from April 17.”
- IMD predicts ‘normal’ monsoon rainfall, farm sector and overall economy to get major boost with good rainfallon 2021-04-16 at 12:47
Bringing good news for India’s overall economy, the country’s national weather forecaster, India Meteorological Department (IMD), on Friday predicted overall ‘normal’ monsoon rainfall during June-September period across the country. It said the probability of the 2021 monsoon being ‘normal’ was 40% while there was 21% chance of it being ‘above normal’.
- Kerala HC quashes FIRs against ED officials in gold smuggling caseon 2021-04-16 at 12:40
- No Haj without two vaccine doses: Haj Committee of Indiaon 2021-04-16 at 12:29
In a major development, the Haj Committee of India (HCI) has said that no Indian Muslims shall be allowed to go for the annual Haj pilgrimage unless they have taken the two vaccine doses.
- Plea in SC to give Covid-19 vaccine to all above 18 yearson 2021-04-16 at 12:18
- Coronavirus: State-wise testing centres in Indiaon 2021-04-16 at 11:51
- Rahul Gandhi slams govt’s Covid-19 strategyon 2021-04-16 at 11:41
Taking a dig at the government, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday said its strategy to fight the Covid-19 pandemic consisted of imposing a ‘Tughlaqi lockdown, ringing bells and singing praises to the Lord.
- Covid-19: Govt departments, ministries allow work from home to its staff, staggered timings suggestedon 2021-04-16 at 11:15
Amidst an exponential growth in Covid-19 infections being reported in the country, various ministries of the Government of India have advised their employees to work from home and officers above the Under Secretary rank have been asked to report to the office in staggered timings.
- Covid-19: Highest-ever single-day spike in India with 2,17,353 fresh caseson 2021-04-16 at 11:12
India on Friday reported a record single-day rise of more than 2.17 lakh Covid-19 cases pushing India’s total tally to 1.43 crore. In another grim milestone, the country added one million cases to its total tally in record six days, the fastest million added to the tally since the outbreak. The death toll increased to 1,74,308 with 1,185 new fatalities, highest since Sept 19’20.
- Coronavirus: State-wise list of helpline numbers in Indiaon 2021-04-16 at 10:56
- Why Rahul Gandhi didn’t campaign in first 4 phases? It is Bengal Congress’s strategy, says party’s observeron 2021-04-16 at 10:34
Congress’s senior observer in West Bengal BK Hariprasad has said in case the Samyukta Morcha, which includes the Left, Congress and the Indian Secular Front (ISF), wins the maximum number of seats in a hung assembly, party president Sonia Gandhi will talk to the MLAs and the PCC before taking a call on seeking the support of Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress (TMC) for government formation.
- UK Finds 77 Cases Of COVID-19 Variant First Found In Indiaon 2021-04-16 at 10:28
UK health authorities have identified 77 cases of the highly infectious B.1.617 variant of coronavirus which causes COVID-19, first found in India, and has designated it a Variant Under Investigation…
- Charges Framed Against Bhupinder Singh Hooda In Land Allotment Caseon 2021-04-16 at 10:09
A special CBI court in Panchkula on Friday framed charges against former Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in the Associated Journals Limited (AJL) plot re-allotment case.
- U.S. has been wracked with several mass shootings in 2021by PTI, AP on 2021-04-16 at 09:54
The Gun Violence Archive says 147 mass shootings have occurred so far in 2021.
- CID Takes Over Probe In Cooch Behar Violence That Killed 4on 2021-04-16 at 09:48
West Bengal CID Friday took over the case of killing of four people in firing by the CISF during polling in Cooch Behar district on April 10, a senior government official said.
- European Union-U.K. talks over Brexit fail to reach breakthroughby PTI on 2021-04-16 at 09:28
A British statement said that “a number of difficult issues remained and it was important to continue to discuss them.”
- Bezos says Amazon needs to do better for employees in last investor letter as CEOby Reuters on 2021-04-16 at 09:22
Amazon, the second-largest private employer in America, hasbeen criticized by some of its 800,000 employees for havingharsh working conditions
- BS Yediyurappa Tests Positive, Second Time In Months, Hospitalisedon 2021-04-16 at 08:59
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa today tweeted to say that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus. In a brief post on Twitter, Mr Yediyurappa said that he was fine but had been…
- Pakistan suspends services of social media platforms following violent protestby PTI on 2021-04-16 at 08:56
The government banned Tehreek-i-Labaik Pakistan following three days of violent protest by it to force the government to expel the French ambassador over a blasphemous caricature published in France last year.
- Turkey bans use of cryptocurrencies for paymentsby Reuters on 2021-04-16 at 08:44
A growing boom in Turkey’s crypto market had gained further pace recently, with investors hoping to both gain from bitcoin’s rally and shelter against inflation
- With flagship electric car, Mercedes takes fight to Teslaby Reuters on 2021-04-16 at 08:44
Daimler now joins rival Volkswagen AG with a dedicated electric platform. BMW will launch a dedicated platform in 2025.
- Ram Navami 2021 Date: Ram Navami Celebrations, History And Significanceon 2021-04-16 at 08:39
Rama Navami 2021 date: This year Rama Navami is on April 21. Check out the Ram Navami 2021 date, muhurat and all you need to know. Lord Ram was born on Navami Tithi during the Shukla Paksha or Full…
- Sunday Lockdown In UP, Rs 10,000 Fine For Second Mask Violationon 2021-04-16 at 07:57
Those caught without a mask in Uttar Pradesh can face a fine of up to Rs 10,000, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath ordered today as part of new tougher rules to fight Covid in the state. The state has…
- Eight killed in shooting at Indianapolis Fedex facility: Policeby PTI on 2021-04-16 at 07:47
Multiple other people were injured and went to local hospitals, police spokesperson Genae Cook said at an early morning news conference on Friday.
- “Unimaginable Ammonia Levels”: Delhi Water Board’s SOS To Supreme Courton 2021-04-16 at 07:30
The Supreme Court will today hear a petition filed by the Delhi Jal Board against the Haryana government on the water crisis in the national capital. The bench has listed the matter for hearing at 2…
- U.S. to continue to push Pakistan on supporting diplomatic efforts to ensure peace in Afghanistan: CIA Director Burnsby PTI on 2021-04-16 at 07:26
CIA Director William Burns was responding to a question from Congressman Adam Schiff, who is the Chairman of the powerful House Intelligence Committee.
- Kerala Gold Smuggling Case: Police Cases Against Probe Officials Scrappedon 2021-04-16 at 07:14
In a jolt to the LDF government, Kerala High Court today scrapped the 2 FIRs registered by the police against Enforcement Directorate officials for allegedly forcing key accused in the gold smuggling…
- People may trust computers more than humans to perform some tasks, study saysby Sowmya Ramasubramanian on 2021-04-16 at 06:56
People may be willing to rely more on a computer programme than other humans, especially if a task is too challenging, according to a study by the University of Georgia
- Sundar Pichai On New Google Earth Feature: “24 Million Photos, 37 Years”on 2021-04-16 at 06:33
In what is being viewed as the biggest update to Google Earth in the last four years, the new “Timelapse feature” has compiled 24 million satellite photos from the past 37 years “into an interactive…
- Citi’s New CEO Taps Old Strategy With Exits In India, 12 Other Marketson 2021-04-16 at 06:32
As Citigroup Inc. simplifies its sprawling businesses, new Chief Executive Officer Jane Fraser is reaching for a familiar playbook: her own.
- Monsoon To Be Normal This Season, Says Governmenton 2021-04-16 at 06:26
Monsoon in the country this year will be “normal”, the government said today in its forecast of the four-month rainfall season in the country.
- Covid Is Deadlier in Brazil Than India And No One Knows Whyon 2021-04-16 at 06:12
Facing a sudden surge in coronavirus infections, India is once again home to the world’s second-largest outbreak, overtaking Brazil after the latter moved ahead in March.
- “Step 1 – Tughlaqi Lockdown, Step 2…”: Rahul Gandhi Taunts Governmenton 2021-04-16 at 05:56
The strategy to fight the current Covid surge comprises a “Tughlaqi lockdown, ringing bells and singing praises to the Lord”, senior Congress leader Rahul Gandhi said today in his latest dig at the…
- Remembering Nandalal Bose, The Legendary Artist, On His Death Anniversaryon 2021-04-16 at 05:23
Nandalal Bose death anniversary: Today is the death anniversary of legendary artist Nandalal Bose. A pioneer of modern art in India, Nandalal Bose died on April 16, 1966. Here are tributes to Nandalal…
- China poses single biggest geopolitical test for U.S. in 21st century, says CIA Directorby PTI on 2021-04-16 at 05:01
William Burns made the remarks to members of the House Select Committee on Intelligence during a Congressional hearing on worldwide threats on Thursday.
- Ranjit Sinha, Former CBI Chief, Dies At 68. He Was Covid Positiveon 2021-04-16 at 04:38
Ranjit Sinha, a former CBI chief who presided over some of the most controversial years of the investigating agency, died early today. He had tested positive for Covid yesterday.
- Record 2.17 Lakh Fresh Covid Cases In India, 1,185 Deaths In 24 Hourson 2021-04-16 at 04:26
India logged in a record 2,17,353 daily coronavirus cases as many states grappled with shortages of hospital beds, oxygen, medicines and vaccine doses. The fresh cases in the deadly second wave took…
- Indian-Americans Welcome New Rules On Overseas Citizens of India Cardson 2021-04-16 at 03:44
Indian-Americans have welcomed the Indian government’s decision to simplify the process of maintaining Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) cards, saying more overseas citizens will now opt for this form…
- Chaitra Navratri 2021 Day 4: Puja Vidhi, Mantra For Maa Kushmanda Hereon 2021-04-16 at 03:43
Chaitra Navratri day 4: On the fourth day of Chaitra Navratri, Maa Kushmanda is worshipped. According to Hindu scriptures, Kushmanda is believed to be the creator of the universe with her energy and…
- US Climate Change Legislation Seeks Renewal Of Ties With Indiaon 2021-04-16 at 03:30
A group of 10 US Senators have introduced a comprehensive international climate change legislation that among other things seeks to reinvigorate bilateral cooperation with India in this sector, ahead…
- “Give Fixed Time Frame”: Supreme Court To Centre On Judge Appointmentson 2021-04-16 at 03:16
The Supreme Court on Thursday asked the Centre to apprise it of a reasonable time frame within which it can respond to the recommendations made by its collegium for appointment of judges as the…
- U.S. envoy John Kerry in China for talks ahead of climate summitby Ananth Krishnan on 2021-04-16 at 01:59
An unofficial delegation is simultaneously visiting Taiwan drawing a sharp response from China.
- In far-off Indian hills, ousted MPs fight for Myanmar’s democracyby Reuters on 2021-04-15 at 21:25
Reuters spoke to two such lawmakers and to a Myanmar politician, all involved with the Committee Representing the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw
- Sri Lanka opposition, civil society mount legal challenge to Chinese-backed Port City Billby Meera Srinivasan on 2021-04-15 at 18:03
Won’t allow country to become Chinese colony, says monk
- Drone targets U.S. troops at Iraq’s Erbil airportby Reuters on 2021-04-15 at 16:30
Drone used to drop explosives
- U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russiaby AFP on 2021-04-15 at 16:27
It expels 10 diplomats, restricts trading and blacklists 32 individuals over ‘election meddling, cyberattack’
- U.S. troop withdrawal | Antony Blinken makes unannounced visit to Afghanistanby AP on 2021-04-15 at 16:04
His trip also came after NATO immediately followed suit, saying its roughly 7,000 non-American forces in Afghanistan would be departing within a few months